Thursday, November 8, 2007

precious sight

I don't remember a morning waking up and being able to see clearly. Getting glasses in 5th grade was awful or so I thought. Now it is normal. I either need my contacts in or my glasses on to un-cloud the blurriness in my eyes.

They say that vision is 20/20 in retrospect. Things that once seemed to boggle the mind suddenly turn pristine clear as you take a second look behind you. Reflecting on the past is sometimes like me putting on my glasses - things are seen much clearer.

I too think perspective is another form of eye-wear that helps make life less hazy. Earlier this week I learned of something which selfishly saddened me and made me feel the need for pity. Why? Because I was thinking about me. ME - the "thing" that gets in the way way too often.

I wasn't able to sulk for long. Soon perspective slapped its heavy hand across my face. That same day I was throwing myself the pity party, I learned that one of my friends is dealing with the recent news that her dad is dying of cancer. She is trying to wade through the emotions of survival and grief while I was pitying my sorry self. My vision soon corrected itself. Enough pity. Enough questioning about my own life, a friend was in need.

The following day I learned of a couple I know dealing with a possible miscarriage. Another slap reminding me of what's important in life. My selfish wants don't have a place to call home. There are other things to tend.

Perhaps I heard this phrase before I had "four-eyes" for it often comes to mind - "Pride goeth before a fall." Sometimes I think my 'glasses' are on straight as I line my ducks in a row. But it often requires tripping over my own feet before I actually put the 'glasses' in the right place and lose the blind pride. I usually have to fall before I realize my mistakes.

It's moments like these that I am thankful for grace.

Thankful for people who care enough to let me fall and then help me back up.

Thankful that when things are blurry I have been given an example of how to walk and how to love when others are hurting.

And thankful that we are all precious in His sight.

No comments: