Tonight I was reminded of another perhaps trivial weakness. I hate mice. No matter how cute they may look, I think it would be crazy to ever house one for a pet.
Last night we had a little rodent sneak into our casa not once, not twice, but three times. Each time I unconsciously screamed and ended up on top of one of our kitchen chairs. It's as if I can't even help it, and not only do I scream, I stop breathing momentarily.

As I sat writing this, I was having a hard time focusing on the screen because my eyes kept drifting to the door and the unfortunate gap between the door and the floor in our house. One of the times I glanced that direction, the rodent was creeping along the wall...until I screamed and it scurried back out the space under the door. The space has now been stuffed with towels hoping to prevent any other unwelcome intruders.
Isn't it funny how life is a constant reminder of our humanity? Not only are mice found trespassing in our casa, but I let too many other things invade my life. There are times I feel as though I try to fake it. I pretend that I am OK sans help. I tell myself that I have everything under conto. I don't need to take time for reading the Bible or I am just fine without conversing with the One I call my Lord. The lies and the weaknesses start small but end up suffocating the One I claim to serve and praise.
Weakness is a part of who I am. It is only with Christ's grace and help that I get through the days. Through the big things and the little things (such as mice) He gives me the needed strength . It's actually amazing how small of a space that mouse snuck through. I didn't know that a mouse could force its way through such a small area. Though its a bit of a stretch, I wonder if that is how the "lies" start to enter our heads.
We think that we have the door covered. We think that the towels will hold back the mice. Just like we think that we have everything under control in our life. We think that we can do it by ourselves, and that we needn't worry God about the little things in our lives. But the reality is, the mice are gonna come and the lies are gonna sneak in if we aren't living in His truth. If we aren't spending time daily with our Lord, our weaknesses are going to shine. He says that in our weaknesses, that He can use us. "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." (2 Corinthians 12:9)
While shopping for greeting cards and being scared of mice are petty weaknesses and they may be permanent in my life, I pray that I won't let the desire for control permanently weaken who I am. I pray that I will take the time to be strengthened day by day as I meet with my Savior. It is He who uses our weaknesses and He who strengthens us even when we pretend we are OK.
So, Lord, as much as it hurts to say this, thanks for the mice. Thanks for the reminder that in all things it is in You I can find my strength. It is you I seek. And it is You I trust (and hope that never again will we have to share our home with such a critter.)
No comments:
Post a Comment