It's funny how women from all over North America (Indiana, Mexico, Minnesota, Texas, Colorado...) could find so much in common in the middle of the beautiful mountains surrounding the pueblo of Mazamitla, Mexico. It's funny how going into the trip I was a little nervous as I hardly knew any of the travel companions. But it's more funny how blessed and refreshed I feel coming out of the trip.
On Friday after a long week and a long day of teaching, I got home, packed, ate, ran to the grocery store, showered, and walked the 15 minutes to our meeting place with my 2 small bags in hand. I was tired, exhausted and frankly I was missing home, A LOT. Who knows why the waves of homesickness hit strong sometimes and hardly appear on the radar at other times? I was questioning my decision to go on this trip. One I was without my Marin, whom it seems I hardly do without these days and two, I was exhausted and wondering if financially it would be a wise decision. Little did I know the remedy for my tired and homesick self was about to be discovered within our cabin in the mountains.
Imagine a wooden haven enclosed by all sorts of greenery overlooking a picturesque mountain framed by flowers. Our quaint home for the weekend came with a fire and marshmallows (inside), some shared meals, a game of cards, many laughs, solid conversations and lots of guitar and singing. We were able to spend Saturday in the village walking the cobblestone streets and making our way through the shops. Not only did we find some treasures along the way, we were able to make some memories on the back of four-wheelers. Six of us shared 3 four-wheelers and drove our way up the mountain taking pictures and avoiding the wasps, cows and potholes that made their home in our path. It was way fun! :) Even more fun than the bumpy ride and the experience was the people with which it was shared.
I wish everyone had an opportunity to take a break from the busy lives we lead and take some time on the mountain as I did and realize how great our God truly is. I had no idea going into this weekend that I was going to be blessed so greatly by God's creation of nature and His creation of the women I was with who have given their lives to His service. After a week of feeling down and out without my family I was reminded that I do have family in Christ here in Mexico. Even though I miss home sometimes and wonder about my life, God has provided once again.
One of the provisional blessings was found in my boss. She is 43 years old and a blast. Her life is a tangible testimony of God's providence. She has been single her whole life but trusts that God will bring someone into her life at the right time. I often ask God why I am single at this time in life, and I am only 21. I am young and God is faithful. I needn't question His ways, as different as mine they may be. My boss is living life to the fullest as she drives four-wheelers up the mountain side and still has a huge heart for her Lord as she daily waits upon Him.
Waiting upon the Lord and a perspective can change many things. My perspective of life on that mountain was much different than the one I brought into the weekend. Clarity shone through as I realized my insignificance without Christ and the providence He doles out for us on a daily basis. I needn't worry, rather I must trust. He will provide the unknowns and give me what is needed. In Isaiah 40, it says "He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."
So though life seems to be ironic, it brings many blessings while trusting in Christ. Though it gets tiring, He promises to renew my strength. Though I miss home and family, He is providing me with family here in Mexico. All I am left asking is, "What else could I possibly need?"
And the answer is "nada" because of the One who gave it All that I may live freely.
1 comment:
WOW!!!! I am famous...no what I really want to say is that I am very priviledge to know you and to share life with you. I am so happy God crossed our paths and I just pray for Him to be glorified in our relationship!
Thanks for be willing to risk and go on a trip with such a random group!!!
I do have precoius memories from it too!
Post a Comment