I sit here with a bit of a queasy stomach, and no it is not from my lack of knowledge in the kitchen that my stomach feels this way. It is due to the fact that I will be teaching my first day of school in just 2 days! Thirteen students will be coming through my door on Monday and it will be my responsibility to teach them all they need to know and control the classroom while doing so. It is a little daunting to think of the year ahead. While I have some nerves surfacing, I too feel excited. This is a dream of mine turning into reality as I will be a true teacher. If only I could put my trust in the One who promises all if we have faith in Him.
This week as I was preparing my classroom, I couldn’t help but think of faith and trust. Not only the trust that so many are putting in me, but the trust children give so freely to so many. The faith of a child is a marvelous wonder to me. When I reflect on the depiction of the faith of a child, the words that come to mind are simple, curious, vulnerable, unabandoned, trusting, unquestioning, alive, apparent, and vibrant. These are great descriptors, though I don’t know I can apply any of them to my own life of faith. Though I read the verse “I can do all things through Him who strengthens me” in Philippians 4, I still question my competency and the near-coming day when I will be in front of a class. I still look to myself for strength when I know all strength does come from Him and not from me.
I also am reminded of the conversation the disciples had with Jesus in the gospels concerning the greatest in the kingdom of God. In Matthew 18, the disciples ask, “Who is greatest in the kingdom of Heaven?” Jesus responded by calling forward a little child and said, “I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.” Hmm..makes me wonder how I can become more like a child. Perhaps part of the answer lies in the blind faith so many children have. What if I had unabandoned faith? What if I shed every piece of reliance I place on myself and hand it over to God? It is easy to raise these questions, but is it possible to actually do what I hope and say? Well I can just run to Philippians 4:13 for another answer here as still says, “I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.”
So those ramblings of thought pieced together in this blog, I find myself falling short and relying solely on His grace as I continue preparing for the big day. Lord I pray that it will be you who guides me through this year. Yes, I am excited to teach and excited to meet all the students coming my way, but I have a feeling that I may be learning more than I will be teaching this year. Thank you for children and the example in faith they can be to me. Lord make my faith like that of a child, unashamed and solely alive because of the strength found in you Lord. And when I question my shortcomings Lord, remind me that in your strength all can be accomplished.
1 comment:
hey Dom!!...i hope everythings goin' good...we'll miss u!!...have fun on the first day!!
Love ur cuz Molly!!!
Post a Comment