Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Just for Fun

Oh the laughs we have...enjoy these stories...

1) Language Barriers
Miss Alger: I'm pooped.
Student: Did Miss Alger just say she pooped?
Me: No (laughing) "I'm pooped" means I'm tired.

2) Spelling Test Blunder
While giving our comprehensive spelling test the other day, I thought I would bring some energy to the classroom as the kids seemed to be dragging. Number 17 was "dynamite" and when I see or hear that word I think of a basketball cheer from high school. So for the example sentence I decided to do the cheer for my kids without realizing that in the cheer I must spell out the word "d-y-n-a-m-i-t-e". oops. The kids appreciated the help and I laughed at my mistake.

3) Easter Rap
So Marin definitely scripted an Easter rap that we performed for our kids. If you know the theme song from "the fresh prince of Bel-Air", we rapped an Easter tune to this song for our kids. Hilarious. And another reminder of why I love my job.

4) Penpal messages
One of my boys has an interesting way with words, he wrote to his penpal in Minnesota "If you ever have problems with a bully, tell them that your friend in Mexico can beat up a 6th grader". :) In his second letter he wrote "Do you hate it when your parents give you haircuts? I do, because they make me almost bald." ha!

5) Please Walk
One of the best/funniest parts of teaching is watching students try to "walk" when asked to. When they are told to "walk" but are in a big hurry, the walk transforms into something between a speed walk and a jog with the head bent down like a charging bull and their arms swing like pendulums back and forth.

6) Field Trips
Best field trip of the year so far happened last month when we went to a place called "Bosque de los Ninos" (Children's Forest). Not since I was 7 years old have I enjoyed playing in the mud, climbing up hills, being blindfolded and riding a zip-line as much as I did this day.

7) Holes?
Student: Miss Dynes, why do you have holes in your cheeks?
Me: What?!?
Student: (points to my dimples)
Me: Oh, dimples. (laughing) You had me worried there for a minute.

8) Attentive...
Students are very perceptive. They always seem to know more than they let on. While I am in the midst of my Master's class this week, the students are very sensitive to my time. Whether or not it's a good thing, I am unsure. A student was about to ask me a math question at the end of the day and another student quietly warned the inquirer, "Shhh....don't ask her now, she's really busy."

9) Parrots
Students also pick up on things I say. Parrot-like would be an accurate label to stick to each of them. Whenever they ask me, "Miss Dynes is this going to be fun?" I respond automatically, "Always. We always have fun in fourth grade." They too repeat that after me, whether or not they truly believe it. I also use the words "shoot" and "bummer" a lot and so do my 4th graders.

I feel like I should have 10 items on this list, but because I'm lacking creativity at the moment and not sure what else is "fun-worthy" for this list, we'll save number 10 for another list, another blog, another day. But we do really always have fun in fourth grade. Always.

No comments: