And though life did get in the way or rather my busyness caught me short-handed, it too may have assisted the thought process on this one. As I was scrambling around trying to teach and take a master's course for two weeks, I had plenty of time on the crowded bus trips to gather some thoughts. And my thoughts often fell on the people I spend life with or have spent parts of it with in the past.
People. Friends. Family. Colleagues. Teachers. Roommates. Pastors. Leaders. Coaches. People who have all played an impact on my life. Reading through the names of the people found in Hebrews 11, I was encouraged and intrigued by their lives. Letting my eyes travel past the chapter mark, I found my underlined Hebrews 12:1-3 verses. The first time I remember hearing these verses was 3 1/2 years ago sitting on a floor in the Dominican Republic. I was surrounded by people I came to love. People who helped shape and strengthen me.
These newfound friends were people I did not previously know before spending 2 weeks in the DR with them. But these people and these 3 verses still impact me today. As we were sitting on the floor in some sort of a circle, we went around and encouraged each person in the circle. Never will I forget what my friend Vanessa said as she read these 3 verses:
"Therefore since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance
the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart."Wow, what a way to sum up some of Hebrews 11 and begin the next chapter. Vanessa encouraged me that day saying, "Dominique, never forget that as you are running this race called life, you are surrounded by people cheering you on. People who love you and will support whatever avenue of life God leads you down."
Whatever aspirations my heart holds or hopes I have yet to discover, whatever persecution yet to come or hardships happening in my life, life is still doable. There are people surrounding me, near and far, who encourage and support me. And as the verse finishes it says, "Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart."
My family who never fails to support and love me.
My friends who love me on the good and bad days.
My teachers who inspired me.
My mentors who lead by example.
My coaches who motivated me.
My students who give me joy.
My colleagues who challenge me.
My roommates who care.
My God who never gives up on me.
1 comment:
This is only to say that I am sooooo grateful I know you and I can be one of those many witness to cheer you up on your race! Keep going and don´t you ever change...excep to be more like Jesus!
Post a Comment