The two weeks surrounding Christmas I was blessed to head up north to spend some time with my family and friends. It was wonderful being in the white winter wonderland I once called home. But there are many things I had forgotten about life in America. To give you a glimpse of some of the problems I have encountered, read on...
In public restrooms, I forgot that I did not need to spend a few minutes searching for a wastebasket. You are allowed to throw toilet paper down the toilet.
I forgot that you do not need to ask for the bill at a restaurant in Spanish.
In the States people expect you to be on time for things and that does not mean an hour late is on time.
It is sometimes hard to breathe in Minnesota. Yes, it is that cold.
Going to the grocery store means actually driving your car to the store and loading the bags in the car not on your shoulders as you walk home.
Dollars are green. Pesos are not.
Roundabouts are not very common in Minnesota.
I don't need to take a public bus to get places including church.
The radio is in English (for the most part).
Almost everywhere I look I see fair skin, eyes and hair.
I can understand all the conversations around me and have a harder time zoning English out than I do Spanish.
There are not soap-operas on whenever I turn the television on or change the channels.
The ground is covered in white fluff.
Our dog doesn't go around biting people (for the most part).
Being in a small-town can make people claustrophobic.
Here I get honked at because people recognize me and the vehicle I am driving versus the random honks I get in Mexico.
I don't have to cook every other meal I eat here in Minnesota.
We have a dishwasher.
There is a dryer in the house which means we get to use soft towels.
I don't have to talk on the phone using my computer as a phone.
All this amnesia I experienced while I was in Minnesota gave me a funny foreign feeling in my homeland. It was strange to feel out of place in a place I thought I knew so well.
Feeling like a foreigner in my own country found me searching in my Bible for some comfort. I stumbled upon Hebrews 11, “the faith chapter”. Though this has been a well-read chapter over the years, the people and the sacrifices they made became more real to me. I struggle sacrificing simple things in life. The people listed in the 11th chapter are likely unconcerned about the silly cultural differences found in our temporary homes. They trust in the One who has promised them a heavenly home. These people live by faith.
The chapter begins, “Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. “ Simply stated. It only requires a simple step.
No comments:
Post a Comment