I am not very skilled at letting go. Whether I try to let go of people when I say good-bye or when I need to let go of things that pile up (like in my parents' basement...oops!). It's hard to bid adieu to something held so close.
Yet through the tears shed this afternoon, I was ironically encouraged at how our hearts work. So much joy can be found in the presence of others. My 14 little fourth graders delivered unexplainable amounts of bliss into my life every single school day this year. And my heart was filled anew so many times by the encouragement of 10 year olds.
As I was chatting with parents today, we covered the normal bases: "Wow, this year went so fast!" or "What a beautiful day for a pool party, the kids are having a great time!" But beyond the normal conversation, the moms spoke right to my heart and revitalized me with their outright love.
They encouraged and affirmed me with what they had to say. And I cannot tell you how much I am looking forward to teaching the same crew of kids in fifth grade next year. We will be able to being the year running because of the relationships that have already been built between the students, parents and myself. I really cannot accurately express the bursting of my heart for each and every one of my students. We have a community of care built that only continues to grow.
In my current read, "The Irresistible Revolution" by Shaine Claiborne, he touches on the importance of care when he says, "Looking into the eyes of people who love us may be the clearest glimpse of God many of us get in this world." (p. 265) For some reason, that rang a clear tone with my heart tonight.
Looking into the mostly big brown eyes of my fourth graders, I see a bond that I can't deny. And it so often through their simple antics and actions that I do see God at work. They teach me a great deal more than they may ever know. As my heart explodes with love for each and every one of them, I too hope they can see a glimpse of our great God reflected in my hazel eyes. (and yes my students have made sure I know that my eyes are BiG...ha!)
And God-willing, the goodbyes won't be for long. I too pray that every single one of them will never cease seeing God when they look into the eyes of people around them - that they too will always be surrounded by people who love them.
No comments:
Post a Comment