On the 16th of September, Mexico celebrates their independence from Spanish rule. To give you an idea of what this weekend looked like, just imagine white, red, and green flags covering everything possible. Imagine nearly every corner plastered with signs that say "Viva Mexico!" and "Independencia". There are people walking in and out of traffic at red lights trying to sell flags, noise makers, dolls and signs declaring the freedom Mexico celebrates on this day. Though a naive oustider may feel like singing "Feliz Navidad" with the green, red and white everywhere in town, all this color found is for Independence Day.

To celebrate the exciting weekend, we were able to participate in a flag ceremony at school that concluded with a live mariachi performance. Though it lasted 2 hours and proved to be a little on the lengthy side for standing the entire time, our students survived and we enjoyed the time in the courtyard. We were able to share in one of the traditions of Mexico Independence Day called "Los Gritos". (This is when someone rings a bell yelling "Viva Mexico" and the crowd chants it repeating the routine a few times with a plethora of excitement building!)

We also had a special cena (dinner) at our Friday night youth service at church which even included a big bouncy boxing ring for all of us competitive at heart people. :) It was a fun time hanging out with our friends and hearing a message asking "Where are all the heroes in our world?"
While all this red, white and green stuff was fun and we felt the Mexican pride loud and clear, the best part of the weekend was found in an invitation we received from a family we hold close to our hearts. (This family was the one I was able to stay with in January and they treat us as their own daughters.) They invited Jenny, Marin and I to join them on their weekend excursion to El Rancho. Little did we know what was in store for us in this pocket of beauty found in the midst of mountains 45 minutes outside of the city.

This "ranch" is a huge piece of land surrounded by looming mountains, fields of tequila plants, palm trees, walnut trees, and a painted piece of the sky as never seen before. There were also cattle and horses roaming the land which added to its authenticity. Not until we arrived at the ranch did I realize how much I missed being outside of a city. It felt as though we could breathe anew as we soaked in the surroundings. Along with the beautiful scenery, we were blessed immensely by the beautiful people who invited us to join them for the weekend. I didn't realize how much I missed being surrounded by family until this weekend happened. How refreshing and fun to feel a part of huge family and be loved immediately by those at the ranch.

It's funny how when life seems to take extra strength to get through the days and when we feel a little on the tired side, we are given just what we need even though we did not know "what" we needed. This weekend served as a reminder of God's faithfulness in the little things. It was a blessing to be surrounded by such people and such sights. Like a second wind in a run, this weekend was a "second wind" for me and my time in Mexico. I am still loving my job as I teach a lively bunch of 4th graders and I am loving the country I call home. So with all the pride I can muster, I can yell with the crowd, "Viva Mexico!"
No comments:
Post a Comment